former member: Phil Joel
purpose, position: bass guitar, lead vocals, songwriter
- full name: Phil Joel Urry
- birthday: January 5, 1973
- birthplace: Auckland, New Zealand
- from: Aukland, New Zealand
- known as: Phil Joel; Phil
- married to: Heather in February of '96
(she once was co-host of "All Access" on CMT and then obviously
host of "Hit Trip" on ?; now she hosts "Street Week"
on Musicforce.com; she sings background on "together" on Phil's
solo debut...). Phil has "Heather" tatooed on his ring finger
as a statement that "this ring is not coming off" Heather
has "Phil" tatooed on her ring finger for same reason.
- children: 2 kids - daughter Phynley Elizabeth
(born on October 15, 2000), son Philip Eden (but they just call him
Eden; born on April 5, 2004)
- position: Lead Vocals, Bass Guitar
- Newsboy since/until: 1995 until December
- what's up after the Newsboys?: After
twelve and a half years with the Newsboys Phil wants to to devote more
time for his family, his project "deliberatePeople."
(together with his wife Heather) and his solo career in music.
- on there: on 9 CD albums, 4 CD singles
and 5 long form videos/DVDs
- song credits: co-wrote everything off
of "Step Up To The Microphone" and "Love Liberty
Disco"; co-wrote songs: "Breathe", "Cup O'Tea",
"Breathe (Benediction)"; "Joy"; "Praises";
"Who?"; "I Love Your Ways"; "Something To Believe
In"; "Wherever We Go"; "Your Love Is Better Than
Life"; "City To City"
- known for: his hair; taking pictures
of himself with his fans
- first job: Hairdresser
- biggest influence: his wife Heather
- special info: he was adopted
- special info 2: voted least likely to
succeed in high school
- hobbies: motorcycle riding, surfing,
- favorite song from "Take Me To Your Leader"
- weirdest thing a fan has given him: a
written marriage proposal
- most embarrassing moment: Falling off
the stage at a gig in a New Zealand high school. Tripped over something
and had to retune his guitar.
- most embarrassing moment part 2: he was
in Houston and addressed the crowd as Dallas
- Can you speak any German? : "Wiener
- band before Newsboys: Drinkwater
- first Newsboy who had a solo album
- likes doing yard work, except that his dog always messes it up.
- has a chicken coop and a dummy named Milton.
- loves Lamington Bars
Spent in Auckland New Zealand. Music was always a big
part of Phil's life, was in a band called Drinkwater before joining
the Newsboys. New Zealand has an extremely healthy and supportive underground
band scene, and Phil has been known to mention these bands as influential
- Phil and Heather have a dog named "Piha" after Piha Beach
near Auckland, where Phil spent a lot of his youth. Heather and Phil
both like to go visit Piha Beach when they can find some time for the
long trip to New Zealand. There is a photograph of Piha Beach on the
artwork to his solo cd "Watching Over You".
- Phil recently sold his motorbike. We don't know if this has anything
to do with the fact that he broke his collarbone while on the Steven
Curtis Chapman tour because of this toy or not.