former member: John
purpose, position: lead vocals
- full name: John James
- nickname: James
- birthday: April 27, 1964
- birthplace: ?, Australia
- origin: Moolöolaba/Queensland (The
Sunshine Coast), Australia
- "U.S. years": living in or
around Nashville/Tennessee, USA
- now living in: Mooloolaba/Queensland,
Australia [may be moving to Brisbane/Queensland, Australia, as said
in an October 2006 interview...]
- married to: Vesna
- children: 2 daughters - eldest name is
- siblings: at least one sister - she's
married with a pastor
- Newsboy since/until: 1985*)
until September of 1997
- what's up after the Newsboys?:
- ...now enjoying a "normal" family life
again out of the spotlight
- and: around the year 2000/2001 (still enduring!)
he appeared on some conferences/ festivals in Australia to tell
his life story. He also gave some interviews.
- He's also engaged in pioneering a new church in
Bisbane, Australia, along with his pastor and friend, David
- As of 2006/2007 John's touring
with David Evans Ministries and the Cre8ive
worship team (out of Brisbane) through Australia and also in Europe
(UK...). They've released an album entitled "Breathe
Again" in February of 2006 (with Integrity Music) which
contains 11 modern worship tracks and a second bonus disc containing
John's challengening message about his life story.
- song writing contributions: "You're
Still There"; "I Got Your Number", "Listen For The
Shout!", "It's Joy", "Never Surrender" and
"Read All About It" and all songs on the albums "Hell
Is For Wimps" and "Boys Will Be Boyz" [as both booklets
indicate the whole band as the songwriters!]
- on there: on 6 CD albums, 1 CD single
and 3 long form videos [NOT including any best-of packages and such
issued after 1997!]
- go to join the band: John joined the
Newsboys after he was invited by Peter Furler and George Perdikis because
they needed a singer.
- got to left the band:
- That's a long story... (Read
- In the late fall of 1997 (I think it was in November
or even in December) an announcement was made from the band that
John had left the band and Peter would switch from the drums to
the mic spot. (But in fact he left the band in late September.)
The statement said that John wanted to have more time for his family
after over 12 years on the road. He would go back to Australia to
his father and that he would've wanted to work as an author and
- BUT: That announcement was not the truth!John
was forced (obviously by the manager and the other members, or even
their label maybe...) to left the band because he was addicted to
alcohol and cocaine and fought with depressions and despair. His
marriage was over and his wife left him with their daughter and
moved back to Australia. John was still living in the U.S. after
he leftall alone. He also moved back to Australia but that
was in the year 1998 when God started the rescue mission to save
his life (and marriage) once again. God used his sister and a lot
of other people to help John to get in a healing process. Later
the couple was together again and planted in a church in Australia
where they were mentored and helped to find back to "normal
- Please note: He's still good friends with
the current band (...as the below picture from the year 2000 with
Duncan and Peter indicates!). Sometimes the Australian guys (John,
Peter, Duncan...) meet together...
- Please also note: We DON'T wrote the above
to justify John in any waywe wrote it down to finally tell
the truth because I (my site here) was involved to publish lies
(though unknowing). I am SO glad that John is back on track through
our FAITHFUL God. I wish him and his family all the best.We'll
see each other in eternity! ;-)
- On a side note: As it were the best
prophecy the 1997's band statement regarding the 'speaking ministry'
came true around the year 2000/2001 (still enduring!) when John
started to speak in public about his life story and about issues
of the spiritual backgrounds when living in the (Christian) music
industry. God's ways are beyond description!
- best known for as the NB lead singer:
his energetic crazy dancing & singing style; his passionate preaching;
being a very friendly guy; good friend of Peter
- best known for as 'the changed man' & speaker/
pastor: being passionate about his wife, his children and working
with high school kids; traveling across Australia and Europe telling
his life story and/or touring with David Evans Ministries and the Cre8ive
[*) There different
sources about his start with the boyz: some say he joined in 1985
shortly after the Newsboys were formed from The News [because they needed
a singer]; other sources indicate he already was with The News in 1985
[or even earlier?]; still other sources indicate he got to join in 1986
so if we take the year 1985 we may be on the right side...]
other info (as of 1996/97 'TMTYL' version of band web site):
- first job or odd/unusual job: selling
- special skills or talents: gardening
- What awards have you won? Innisfail high
school table tennis champion
- Who is the person that has influenced you the
most? Why? "Kevin Dayles. He lived what he preached."
- What are your hobbies? "Dirt bike
riding; dirt bike crashing."
- What is your favorite vacationing spot? Why?
"Green Island! Because no one bugs me there."
- What is your favorite food? "Olives
and egg plant."
- What would you be doing if you weren't in music?
"Lamington truck driver."
- What is your favorite thing about singing?
"When the concert is over."
- Tell about when you first began singing and
how old you were. "In high school for a musical; I was 16
- What is the best, most meaningful advice you've
received or would give? "Always let someone else check the
water depth first before you cross."
quotesas a pastor/ speaker:
- »I came to the realisation, either the
Word of God is true or it isn't. Either it can change my life or it
can't. If it can't then I'm wasting my time but if it can then I'm going
to do everything that I can to allow it to change my life.«
(in the CrossRhythms
interview, October 2006)
- »To do a significant work, you need to
lay hold of Jesus, even in [the music] business.«
(at a 'Cre8ive'
event in 2005/2006)
quoteswhen he was with the Newsboys:
- »"It feels like we're on the edge
of something. We're evolving into something we can almost see up ahead,
and it's driving us to give more than ever before.«
(when interviewed about T.M.T.Y.L.)
- »We don't watch MTV 24 hours a day, keeping
our finger on 'the pulse'. That isn't the pulse. We take our music seriously
- but the message even